What is eSIM and how does it work? Right now eSIM is very popular among the headlines because Apple has used this eSIM in their new phones iPhone XS and XS Max. Also, they have used eSIM for dual SIM support for connectivity in Apple Watch Series 3 and Watch Series 4 but due to lack of accurate and complete information, people are not able to know about eSIM properly. You may also have heard a little about eSIM and are wondering how it differs from normal SIM.
Some must also be wondering whether it can be used in their devices or not. In order to answer all these questions, this article has been presented to you what eSIM is and how it works. Hopefully, it will be able to answer all your questions accurately. We can see this now phones and networks can adopt these electronic SIM cards for their future smartphones as this will not require them to have more physical SIM cards (and SIM slots) in their devices. This will save huge space. This eSIM is not only suitable for manufactures but it is also suitable for users in large quantities. So what exactly is this eSIM? And what exactly is it going to provide in our smartphone? Keep reading this to know.
What is eSIM –
Full form of “eSIM” is an embedded SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card. There are no physical SIM cards used in this nor do you need to do any physical swapping. It will not be forgotten to call this eSIM the SIM of next-generation connected consumer devices. eSIM needs a network or carrier to run properly and is enabled by them later, so for your new iPhone XS or XS Max you need to find an eSIM-compatible network that it Support to run on the second SIM support.
An eSIM basically works like a small chip inside your phone and it functions just like an NFC chip. The information above eSIM is rewritable, which means that you can change the operator only with a simple phone call. Also, a data plan can be easily added to it – in addition, it is a matter of minutes to connect eSIMs with your mobile account.
One thing you must note is that the iPhone XS and XS Max also have a physical SIM slot for a SIM card – while this eSIM can be used as a second SIM support. This is not a very funny thing. GSMA technology is used in eSIM, in association with other mobile networks. This GSMA is a worldwide standard of eSIM throughout the world.
When is eSIM being launched –
eSIM has been launched in iPhone XS and XS Max. Also, we can see it in Apple Watch Series 3 and Watch Series 4. It is being highly appreciated by the users. If I talk about countries, then only 10 countries are currently supporting eSIM. Which are Austria, Canada, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, India, Spain, UK, and the US? The company says that very soon this service will be made available in other countries.
What does eSIM provide for your devices –
A very good advantage that it offers is that if you see it from the design point of view, then you can use this eSIM in a small device also because it requires an extra SIM tray to keep the SIM card in it. Does not fall. Also, the manufacturer does not need to distribute a lot of SIM cards for the network easily.
Also, eSIMs are also very good for your other devices such as laptops and tablets, because seamless connectivity can be achieved without a physical SIM card. Also, through eSIMs, it can be connected to many devices simultaneously as eSIMs do not require extra space.
Also read –
- What is GSM and CDMA, Check Detailed Caparison
- What is OTG Cable, best use of OTG, Full Form of OTG
- How to call on block number, using phone in easy steps
In which devices can eSIM be used –
Apple has used eSIM connectivity in its Apple Watch Series 3 and Watch Series 4 as well as dual SIM support in the new iPhone XS and XS Max. Google’s Pixel 2 also supports eSIM but is limited to Google’s Project Fi in the US only.
Which Network Providers in India Support eSIM –
Currently, there are only two network providers in India that support eSIM technology; That is Jio and Airtel.
How does eSIM work –
When asked how this eSIM works in the new iPhone XS and XS Max, he said that if you have a physical and eSIM provision and are connected with two separate networks then your iPhone screens both networks simultaneously. I will show it at the same time.
If your handset is in standby mode and both SIM and eSIM are provisioned, then customers can receive calls and texts in both of their SIMs. Then you can choose a “default” line in which you can use calls, SMS, iMessage and FaceTime. The second line is for SMS and voice only.
Alternatively, you can use Secondary only for cellular data – this can be useful if you are going abroad and using a local data eSIM. Also, you can use more than one eSIM on your iPhone, but you can only use one SIM at a time.
You can switch eSIMs from tapping Settings> Cellular> Cellular Plans as described and then tap the correct plan that you can use. Then you can tap Turn On This Line.
How can you use eSIM in iPhone XS and XS Max –
If you have a QR code:
1. Go to Settings> Cellular.
2. Then tap will have to add Add Cellular Plan.
3. After that, the iPhone will have to be used to scan the QR code that the carrier provides to you – while you can also ask to enter an activation code.
Or how you can activate them with a carrier app:
1. For this, first, go to the App Store and then download your carrier’s app.
2. You can use this app to buy a cellular plan.
You can also label your plans for which you will have to do it in Settings> Cellular. Then tap on the number whose label you want to change. After this, you have to tap Cellular Plan Label and then you have to enter a new label or a custom label.
How is eSIM a great option for regular travellers –
With the help of eSIM, it is very easy for a regular traveller. As we know that it is the job of travellers to go to other countries. At the same time, they always suffer from SIM. Take a new SIM together and remove the old one and install the new one. At the same time, many charges also appear as roaming charges. ESIM is a great option to avoid all these problems. It is very easy to activate and it does not require a physical SIM. Apart from this, they can easily connect to many devices.
What are the advantages of eSIM –
Let us know about the advantages of eSIM.
- It is the size of a nano sim piece. So it fits anywhere.
- There is no need of SIM tray for this.
- In this, a user can switch to another operator very soon. Without changing any SIM card. Useful for travellers.
- You can connect more devices at once. Like if you have a smartphone and also a smartwatch, then you can connect these two to the same eSIM.
- It has the facility of remote provisioning so that you will not have to wait till the old sim is deactivated, but the new eSIM can be easily activated.
- It is embedded with the SIM card phone, so it stores all the information of the subscriber which is necessary to identify and authenticate the mobile subscriber.
- There is no need to change the SIM card for the new SIM, you can do this without changing it.
eSIM is more secure than other sim cards.
What are the disadvantages of eSIM –
As there are two aspects of the coin, so there are also eSIM, so let’s know more about it.
- If you have a lot of devices and you keep changing your operators at regular intervals then it will cause some confusion for you because if all your devices are connected then there can be confusion in changing it and together you have to activate the SIM card. With the help of the software of that device. You cannot replace the old SIM card with a new SIM card like you used to do earlier.
- If your battery is low and you want to make a call by connecting your eSIM to a friend’s phone, then there can be trouble because it takes a little time to activate the sim card and it is not too fast and easy.
- To activate eSIM, you have to contact the operator and you can activate the SIM only by entering the user id and password sent by them.
What is the future of eSIMs –
The eSIMs are very bright. The big companies like Apple and Google have used it to announce that if SIM cards have some future, then it is the only eSIM. With the new GSMA technology, users can switch to other network operators very easily. In this, they do not need to take much trouble, it can be done with just a couple of phone calls.
Together as we all know that the size of mobiles and devices is getting smaller every day. In this case, the SIM size is a very large factor. Apart from this, with the rewritable feature, the operator can be changed easily. Also, there will be no tension of SIM for the travellers. Future belongs to eSIMs because once it is embedded with your devices, then you can take full advantage of all its features.
At the End of –
I hope I have told you What is eSIM and gave full information about and I hope you people have understood about this post. If you have any doubts about this article or you want that there should be some improvement in it, then for this you can write down comments. With these ideas, you will get a chance to learn something and improve something. If you liked my post this and you have got something to learn from it, then to show your happiness and excitement, please share this post on social networks such as Facebook, Google+ and Twitter etc.